Cheerleaders Quit Team en Masse to Protest Coach’s Advances; Study of Student Deaths in Judo Accidents; 50 Year TV Program Cancelled; Youths Extort Thousands of Dollars from High Schooler by Threatening Gang Assaults

Entire Class of Cheerleaders from One of Nation’s Best High School Teams Quit in Protest of Coach’s Inappropriate Advances
Yomiuri Shimbun: チア部員に監督が不適切行為、高2全員が退部届
January 17, 2012

All ten second graders on Obihiro (Hokkaido) High School’s cheerleading team quit on January 5 because of their male coach’s inappropriate behavior, it was learned on the 16th.

The school said it did not know about the case because the supervisor was not present.

According to the prefectural education department, last December 27, a parent from the school called the prefectural government to complain that the school’s assistant principal, a male and the coach of the team, was making inappropriate advances toward a member of the team, such as calling out “Let’s get married!” to her, giving her a necklace, grabbing her hand, and touching her body. The program is very strong; it has participated in the Japan Cup two years running.

The department called the coach twice to ask him about the matter. He said “it’s true that things like that happened,” and his explanation was that “in every case, it was part of a communication strategy to encourage the students, but they took it the wrong way.” The department said “the school has now heard the details of the matter, and we have told them to respond to it appropriately.”

114 Students Died Playing Judo From 1983-2010
Yomiuri Shimbun: 中高生114人、柔道で死亡していた…名大調査
January 17, 2012

Fatal accidents at school judo practices are continuing. A typical accident: a student without proper training is on the receiving end of a throw; he suffers a blow to the head; finally, he does not receive proper emergency medical care.

According to Nagoya University Associate Professor of Sociology of Education Ryō Uchida, in the 28 years from 1983-2010, 114 Japanese students (39 junior high schoolers and 75 high schoolers) died from judo accidents. Junior high schoolers and first year high schoolers together made up half the total; 14 students died during class time. In addition, accidents handicapped 275 students between 1983 to 2009, three tenths of them during class time.

Of every 100,000 students who participated in judo competitions from 2000-2009, 2.376 died, which is far higher than the second highest rate on the list, basketball’s (0.371 per 100,000). The majority of deaths were caused by impact to the head. “If the neck muscles are not yet developed, then performing free exercises, standing throws, and the like is dangerous,” Dr. Uchida warned.

“Junior High School Diary” to End 50-Year Run in March
Yomiuri Shimbun: 「中学生日記」3月で終了…1962年から放送

NHK Nagoya announced on the 18th that the March 16 episode of “Middle School Diary” will be the program’s last.

The show will be succeeded by a show about teens working to achieve their hopes and dreams called “Teens Project Fure☆Fure” [Fure has a double meaning of “proclamation/announcement” and “hooray!”] from April.

“Middle School Diary” portrayed the daily lives of Nagoya-area junior high schoolers. It debuted in 1962 as “Jirō the Middle School Student”. According to the station, interest in the program had waned for years, and its current viewership rating is only 1%.

High School Student Repeatedly Bullied into Giving Money to Former Classmate, Claims 3 Million Yen Extorted in All
Yomiuri Shimbun: 恐喝繰り返され…高校生「300万取られた」
January 18, 2012

The Aichi Police Department arrested three minors on the 18th for continuing to threaten a 17-year old male high school student after they had already bullied him into giving them ¥900,000 (~$11,700) in cash.

The student said about ¥3 million (~$39,000) was extorted from him in all. The police are performing a corroborative investigation.

According to the police report, the youths who were arrested were a construction worker and a part-time worker in Seto and a part-time worker in Owariasahi. From late July to September 1, the construction worker extorted ¥600,000 from the student by telling him things like “a motorcycle gang is aiming for you. You should pay them money to protect yourself” and “my father had to pay ¥1 million to speak to the gangsters behind the motorcycle gang (on your behalf).” After that, the other two youths joined the plot; the police suspect them of extorting ¥900,000 from the victim in all.

The young man from Owariasahi is also charged with verbally assaulting the student and punching him in the face in a Seto public park on September 4, leaving him injured for two weeks.

Two of the youths have confessed to the charges: “We went after him because his family is rich. We used the money to go out and have fun.” The Owariasahi youth admitted punching the student but denied the money was extorted, saying it was merely the repayment of a loan.

Every time the student was threatened, he took money out of the family account and handed over the cash; eventually the family realized what was happening when they made withdrawals of their own. The construction worker was acquainted with the student because he attended and then dropped out of the same high school. The two other youths were his buddies.

Original/原稿::

チア部員に監督が不適切行為、高2全員が退部届

 北海道帯広市の帯広北高校チアリーディング部の男性監督が、女子部員に不適切な行為をしたとして、同部の2年生部員10人全員が今月5日に退部届を出していたことが16日、分かった。

 学校側は「担当者が不在で分からない」と説明している。

 道庁学事課によると、同校の保護者から昨年12月27日に道に電話があり、同校の教頭で男性監督が特定の部員を呼び出し「結婚しよう」などと発言したり、ネックレスなどを贈るなどの不適切な行為を続けているとの苦情があったとしている。また、監督はファミリーレストランで部員の手を握るなど、体を触る行為もあったという。同部は2010年から2年連続でジャパンカップ・日本選手権に出場するなど強豪校として知られる。

 同課が2度にわたって学校関係者に電話で事情を聞いたところ「それに近いことがあったのは事実」とした一方「いずれも生徒を励ますなどのコミュニケーションの一環で、受け止め方の違い」とも説明したという。同課では「学校側には事情を聞いて適切に対応するように話した」と説明している。

(2012年1月17日17時55分 読売新聞)

中高生114人、柔道で死亡していた…名大調査

 学校での柔道事故を巡っては、受け身の習得が不十分なまま投げ技練習に参加したり、頭を打った後に適切な救急措置を受けられなかったりした生徒が死亡するケースが後を絶たない。

 名古屋大の内田良准教授(教育社会学)によると、柔道事故で死亡した中学、高校生は1983~2010年度の28年間に全国で114人(中学39人、高校75人)。中高ともに1年生が半数以上を占め、計14人が授業中の死亡例。また、後遺症が残る障害事故も83~2009年度で275件あり、3割は授業中だった。

 中学の部活動における競技別の年間死者数(2000~09年度の平均、10万人当たり)を見ると、柔道が2・376人で、2番目のバスケットボール(0・371人)に比べても圧倒的に多い状況だった。死亡原因の大半は頭部外傷で、内田准教授は「首の筋力などが未発達なうちに、安易に立ち技や乱取りを行わせるのは危険」と警鐘を鳴らす。

(2012年1月17日18時08分 読売新聞)

「中学生日記」3月で終了…1962年から放送

 NHK名古屋放送局は18日、同局制作のテレビ番組「中学生日記」を3月16日の放送で終了する、と発表した。

 後継番組として4月から、夢や目標に向けて努力する10代を取り上げる「ティーンズプロジェクト フレ☆フレ」を放映する。

 名古屋近郊の中学生が出演して、中学生の日常を描いてきた同番組は、1962年に放送を始めた「中学生次郎」を72年に改名して全国放送されてきた。同放送局によると、ここ数年は中学生の番組への関心が薄れ、視聴率は1%ほどだったという。

(2012年1月18日19時35分 読売新聞)

恐喝繰り返され…高校生「300万取られた」

 愛知県警は18日、同県瀬戸市の高校2年の男子生徒(17)から現金90万円を脅し取ったとして、いずれも17歳の3少年を恐喝の疑いで逮捕した。

 男子生徒は「300万円ぐらい脅し取られた」と話しているといい、県警で裏付け捜査を進めている。

 発表によると、逮捕したのは同市の建築作業員、同市のアルバイト、同県尾張旭市のアルバイトの3少年。建築作業員は昨年7月下旬から9月1日にかけ、男子生徒に「暴走族に狙われているぞ。金を払った方が身のためだ」「俺の父親が暴走族の後ろ盾の暴力団と話をつけるのに100万円かかった」などと言って計60万円を支払わせ、その後、2人も加わり、3人で総額90万円を脅し取った疑い。

 さらに尾張旭市の少年については、瀬戸市内の公園で9月4日頃、男子生徒に言いがかりをつけて顔を殴り、左目に2週間のけがを負わせたとして傷害容疑でも逮捕した。

 建築作業員ら2人は容疑を認め、「家庭が裕福なので狙った。金は遊興費に使った」と供述、尾張旭市の少年は殴ったことは認めたが、恐喝容疑は「貸した金を返してもらっただけ」と否認しているという。

 男子生徒は脅されるたび、家族名義の口座から現金を引き出して手渡していたといい、家族が引き出しに気づき、発覚した。建築作業員は男子生徒と同じ高校を中退しており、面識があったという。他の2人は作業員の遊び仲間だった。

(2012年1月18日21時15分 読売新聞)

Explore posts in the same categories: Education, Japan, Law, Sports, Translations

Tags: , ,

You can comment below, or link to this permanent URL from your own site.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: